Withania Somnifera is the scientific name of Winter Cherry. It is known to have a direct effect on the functioning of the Adrenal glands. Adrenal functioning may be left susceptible and become compromised once symptoms of Adrenal fatigue settle in.
There are various hormones that the gland secrete in adequate amount in order to maintain body hormone equilibrium. Hormones such as DHEA or dehydroepiandrosterone are considered endogenous since they are produced solely by the human body. It is secreted to act as a precursor to male and female hormones (androgen and estrogen).
Another two of which is also secreted are Cortisol and Adrenaline. Cortisol plays a role in proper glucose metabolism, regulation of blood pressure and inflammatory response while Adrenaline is produced to stimulate heart rate, contracts blood vessels and dilates air passages. Any deviation or a significant decrease or increase of the production of these hormones may result to Adrenal malfunction.
Traditionally, practitioners of Ayurveda recommend Winter Cherry as a medicine to help with relaxation. The root of the Withania Somnifera is a tiny green shrub which contains adaptogenic properties. It is known to be a physiologic agent which is capable of increasing the human body’s physical and emotional resistance to stress in a natural way. Research has shown that Ashwagandha is a safe and natural sedative that yields the most distinctive result after two to six weeks of usage. Also, according to clinical study, the Winter Cherry herb has displayed positive outcomes such as:
- Relative increase in the immune system’s functioning has been reported. There is also quite a resistance to infection both viral and bacterial thus, becoming less susceptible to micro organisms.
- The body is able to combat mental and physical fatigue caused by emotional and physical stress. Naturally, bodily functions and systems are capable of fighting stress but in the course of every day’s strain these functions have become ineffective. The herb helps the body restore the system to its natural rhythm.
- It helps ease occasional anxiety, nervousness and nervous tensions.
- Could also be used as an anti-depressant due to its ability to affect depressed moods and mild to moderate mood changes.
- There are also cognitive advantages such as increase in focus, lengthened attention span, better memory, mental clarity and other cognitive functions.
If you have questions about ashwagandha for stress relief, it is a good idea to consult with a medical professional or naturopathic doctor.